Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion for IDS

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 05:31:43 -0400

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 15:54:41 +0700, Fajar Edisya Putera said:

Our company plan to install IDS to protect our resources, I'm already read
about snort as NIDS, but, that's software based. I'm interesting with
hardware based that will work transparently with our Cisco PIX, no need to
make changes in our firewall. What's your suggestion.

Step 1: Learn that there's no *true* hardware-based solutions here.  What you're
really buying is a box with a CPU, some memory, a network interface or three,
and some software.  Many "hardware" IDS are in fact just Snort-in-a-box, or
optimized-Snort-in-a-box.  Others will be some other "software in a box".

To understand why, consider why you can't get a high-speed line card from Cisco
(which *are* lots of black-magic ASIC hardware) to do any significant filtering
to the level that Snort inspects packets....

Step 2:  An IDS doesn't *protect* your resources, any more than a concealed
video surveillance camera protects anything.  It may tell you who did it, and
what they did, *after the fact*, but it won't *protect* you. (At least a
*visible* video cam might make the malefactor think twice - but who *ever*
has an IDS that's as visible as (say) the video cameras in a bank lobby??) :)