Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: CORE-Impact license bypass

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:23:45 -0400

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:53:58 +0200, Bernhard Mueller said:
so what use is a pentest if the consultant isn't even talented enough to
find / create exploits for unknown vulnerabilities?

Quite a bit, actually.

Consider every pen test ever done by a consultant who wasn't that talented, but
who found and reported *actual* security holes in the target network anyhow.
Are you saying all those pentests were worthless?

any average admin can install and run an automatic security scanner.

Right. Sometimes, it's just the convenience factor - the fact that I *can* change
the oil, spark plugs, and brake pads on a car doesn't mean that I'd *rather* do
it myself than pay somebody else $20 to do it for me.  Similarly, my servers
running Red Hat have software maintenance contracts on them, even though I
*could* debug software myself, simply because (a) sometimes it's a trivial
bug and I can't be bothered to track it down because I'm busy doing something
more interesting that instant or (b) it's a major issue and I don't have the
time to get up to speed on all the ins and outs of how a particular RAID
controller interacts with a particular kernel driver.

And then you get to the place where the consultant can be a value-added:

furthermore, a common nessus report contains 99% useless garbage. and
most of the time, you can not apply generic exploits like these from
metasploit to a specific customer situation.

The average admin does *not* have the skills/time needed to sort out the 99%
useless garbage.  And in the network-wide sense, there are often transitivity
problems where D has a known-but-difficult-to-fix hole, but is only reachable
from C - and nobody realizes that a minor issue on B can let somebody on A
leapfrog to C and then hit D.

Found a box once that had at one time a 3rd party package, since removed.
The package removal had left a line in /etc/hosts.equiv for *one specific host*,
also since departed from the DNS.  And the box had a packet filter ruleset
to only accept DNS from the "real" DNS servers.  (You can see where this is
heading, right?  :)  Well, the admin of the box could see it *once it was
pointed out to them*.  Didn't mean that they had the time to find it themselves.

in my experience, nearly all sites have some serious security flaws even
if tools like nessus say the contrary. there may be self-coded
applications or software that is not widely known or tested so they're
not found in any vulnerability database. or, if that is not the case,
you may even find new flaws in well-established software.

Notice that most home-grown apps have issues - and the people who wrote
them are usually unqualified to find them, simply because they have a big
blind spot because they're too close - "forest for the trees" time.  A
fresh set of eyes from outside can help a lot here.

And note also that "finding a hole" and "be talented enough to create an
exploit" are *totally* distinct.  I found a rather nasty rootable hole in
Sendmail a while back (read the release notes for 8.10.1 and the relevant
manpages for the system linker - that gives enough info to figure out what the
bug was). Never did create a working exploit for it - I fooled with it for an
afternoon and only got as far as proving that if somebody were to spend more
than an afternoon on it, they *could* produce a working exploit.