Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: in-line coax monitoring device

From: "Mark Senior" <Mark.Senior () gov ab ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:19:21 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Korn

----Original Message----
From: Alex Krycek

Äîáðûé âå÷åð...looking for an in-line coax monitoring
device that will
give me the ability to monitor/capture and decode all traffic that
pass by - any suggestions on how to create one, purchase one, sites
that sell them or tell you how to build one....? Ñïàñèáî
- -The Rat

  The device you are looking for does exist.  It's called a
"cable modem".
You can get them from ISPs.

Except that you need a cable modem that's set up to put go into promiscuous mode, and not transmit anything.  I believe
this may be doable with SNMP, but you would have to know the community strings used by the ISP.

The modems the ISPs ship only pass inward traffic destined for their own addresses.  I'm not sure if they announce
their presence, if the computer behind them is silent - that might take some tweaking also.  What Alex described looked
more like a passive tap, that won't emit any signals.

-- End of sensible content.  Silly disclaimer follows. --

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This
message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named