Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SSH Bruteforce blocking script

From: Gerald Holl <gerald () holl co at>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 22:00:12 +0200

On 2005-09-02 09:37, Michael L Benjamin wrote:
Here is a simple script I've coded up that I use on 3 of my RedHat
Enterprise Linux 3 (RHEL3) servers. I decided to do this after seeing the
amount of activity from places like China/Korea/Taiwan in relation to
SSH brute force probes. I'll throw it open here for
analysis/suggestions. It
leverages off the TCPWrappers /etc/hosts.deny /etc/hosts.allow
functionality.

Hello,

Nice script!
Although I think it's a good way to list that brute force IPs in
/etc/hosts.deny there is another good script that uses iptables to block
the IPs:
http://fail2ban.sourceforge.net/

It works with apache logfiles too.

cheers,