Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: PGPNet Upgrade path ?

From: "Aditya Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 08:03:37 +0530

gem () rellim com Wrote :

IPSEC has nothing to do with PGP.  Also there is really no such thing
as a PGP key.  PGP uses what ever key scheme you ask it to use.  IPSEC
is the same way.  Both use keys, but are not themselves key standards.

OpenVPN similarly can use what ever key scheme you wish.  Since it is
based on the OpenSSL crupto libs it is very flexible that way.  For
simple setups you can use pre-shared keys.  For more complex setups
you can use public/private key pairs of any type that OpenSSL
understands.

This is the main problem - how do I get PGP key server keys in a format
Openssl understand ? And I have implemented CA and ipsec vpn using
freeSWAN.org + x.509 patch it works pretty nicely, but here in this
case the public/private KEYs are in a different format...

IMHO, if OpenVPN does not do what you want then you misunderstand the
problem.

The problem is very clear : how do I tranlate PGP keys to a format
X.509 / openssl can understand ? I havent a solution to this one yet.

m () rtij nl Wrote :

I know for ipsec VPNs I could use the winxp's builtin
But that would require moving all the PGP keys to
X.509 certs.

Yes, absolutely. For OpenVPN you need to use X509 certs, you
will have to rework your whole PKI. However:

I have already used openvpn and (free|open|whatever)swan, have
created openssl CA with batch files that run both on windows and
linux/freebsd/solaris at other sites....

All these programs are great in own right but I cannot connect the
Dots.

So if you consider dropping PGP all together, have a look at OpenVPN.

This is the last option. If nothing is found then it is going to be openvpn

But meanwhile

I need a VPN that uses PGP keys for auth that are stored in PGP Key
Server, does not matter If it free or paid but if anyone know that
There is such a program please let me know....

Thank you in advance for the time taken to dig out the answers :)

Delivered using the Free Personal Edition of Mailtraq (www.mailtraq.com)