Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Exploiting an online store

From: "lyal.collins" <lyal.collins () key2it com au>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 15:08:59 +1000

I would have thought that obtaining value by deception is just simple fraud.

The detection of the incident and prosecution of the guilty is usually more
challenging than committing the offence, I understand.

Lyal

I know that bad programming habits exist on some of the sites out there and
still use Hidden fields to pass prices over.. Although not very common....
I found one this morning after sending the email...

My question is more on the theory I suppose...  What laws are out there to
protect against this after-the-fact? Is it true that if the seller closes the
deal by sending you the merchandise then they have no case and can't go back
and charge you?

Seems there should be something out there providing protection is the system
is automated... Even though there should be checks in place people do have
small budgets and rush a lot of the smaller E-com stores out.

JP