Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Full-disclosure Digest, Vol 8, Issue 48

From: "Stejerean, Cosmin" <cosmin () cti depaul edu>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:00:04 -0500

If your altered virus sample
?> still executes correctly, you have simply created a new virus
?> variant.

Not exactly, please look at this virustotal.com log
http://www.securityelf.org/updmagic.html

The altered (120 bytes prepended) TXT_* variant is STILL detected by your
product (CA), but when I change the first byte from "Z" to "M" - your
product
fails (MZ_* variant).

The virus scanner determined the type of the file by the header and it
failed. That's bad news. I am wondering however, when I execute that file,
how does the OS process the file? I guess my question is, if I have a
modified version of a virus, with whatever header, if I try to execute that
file, will the virus code get executed?

Cosmin Stejerean