Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: annoying bug in Windows XP

From: Jerome Athias <jerome.athias () free fr>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:16:25 +0200

Hi,

maybe something similar to this:

http://seclists.org/lists/vuln-dev/2005/Feb/0007.html

Frank Dietrich wrote:

Hi to all readers,

this day I found a annoying misbehavior in Windows XP professional
with SP2.

I had a directory with some Java sources (*.java) and some backup
files (*.jav). Because I din't longer need the backup files I would
delete them with 'del *.jav'. But this command also delete all the
source files. #ยง%*. The last backup was 4 hours ago. :-/

So I tried what happen and the result is the command above checks
only the first three chars from the extension (DOS is alive).

Here is how you can reproduce it:

mkdir testbug
cd testbug
rem.>file1.jav
rem.>file2.java
rem.>file3.javas
del *.jav

All three files are deleted. Is this a known bug or a unknown feature?

Frank