Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Redmond Report: Yahoo for IM

From: "Aditya Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway strangled net>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:40:48 +0530

Doug,
I know you asked for a reply concerning "multi-vendor IM clients", but, I
have to ask "WHAT ABOUT SECURITY"!!

Trillian is pretty good....

I fight daily with pesky spam, maleware, viruses, and back-doors. Every
computer I clean has some type of IM client or a residual of one including
all the little extra "tool bars" and "weather bugs" and such. They HOG the
enterprise bandwidth with "ads" not to mention the problems of employees
keeping everything business. And now you tell me Windows wants to marry
into
IM???? Is this going to be an "option" or one day a default insatallation?

and trillian have no problems with spyware and other advertisement and
spams...
You can run an internal jabber server and use trilliand to connect to that
Server. Takes care of security and employees buiness also. And a bonus its
open
source

Exactly what is windows plan here?? Am I getting carried away? Will I be
looking for "IM patches" on patch Tuesday???? Do I have a lot more
questions
and concerns?? YES!

IM patches + other vluns in .net and yahoo messengers is the main reason
that
I moved most of my clients to jabber server + trillian 3.1 pro and removed
AIM
Msn, ICQ and IRC plugins - it works like a charm....