Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: IPsecurity theater

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 10:51:27 +0100

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 04:04:31PM -0800, coderman wrote:
On 11/25/05, Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl> wrote:
While I'm not too sure what you mean, doesn't manual keying solve this
problem?

setkey doesn't make the greatest key daemon.  something that supports
decent authentication for access to key material and provides some
form of key scheduling would be nice.

I fully agree. But if you only want to accept traffic from trusted,
authenticated sources, it's about as close to that as you can get.

If that's not what you meant, which is quite possible as I'm not sure I
understood your initial message fully, could you please elaborate on
what you want to do? Just shield vulnerable, sucky key daemons from the
wide internet? That's doable with something like isakmpd over stunnel,
which, come to think of it, is not a bad idea (but, like all of IPsec,
probably a bitch to set up).

                Joachim