Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: sugget a small pentest distro

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:25:34 -0600

On Nov 8, 2005, at 11:51 PM, crazy frog crazy frog wrote:
Hi,
can anyone suggest a small pentest liux distro.smallest means(under
250 mb.),i seen one on whax site.has any one used it?
****no google please****

so why can't you do your own research? What wrong with using Google to get a simple answer?

So for auditing, with live CDs...
Knoppix STD is not bad, except for the name... http://www.knoppix- std.org/ Whoppix was ok. It has been renamed to whax (http://www.iwhax.net/ modules/news/)
Phlak (http://www.phlak.org/modules/news/)
Auditor (http://new.remote-exploit.org/index.php/Auditor_main)
PLAC: http://sourceforge.net/projects/plac

if you want to look at forensics tools instead of auditing tools.
Fire: http://fire.dmzs.com/
Helix: http://www.e-fense.com/helix/
FCCU: http://www.d-fence.be/
SleuthKit: http://www.sleuthkit.org/sleuthkit/desc.php
Penguin Sleuth: http://www.linux-forensics.com/downloads.html
etc....

You just want super small?
LMS:  http://linuxmobile.sourceforge.net/
Damn Small Linux:  http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
FeatherLinux: http://featherlinux.berlios.de/
FlashLinux: http://flashlinux.org.uk/
CPX-Mini: http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~bading/cpx-mini/
Knoopix-USB: http://rz-obrian.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de/knoppix-usb/
Puppy-Linux: http://www.goosee.com/puppy/
etc...

And of course if you don't know how to add and remove the tools you want from these, maybe you should do more research.

Everyone has different needs. You don't state yours, so how can we answer? I have used several of these, some were useful, others, not so much... Will they work for you? who knows, since you don't say specifically what you want. What is "pentest" exactly? What are you testing? What kind of environment? Not that anyone here really cares, but if you are going to ask a question, you might try and research it first, then ask detailed questions.

--
MadHat (at) Unspecific.com, C²ISSP
E786 7B30 7534 DCC2 94D5  91DE E922 0B21 9DDC 3E98