Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Report to Recipient(s)

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 14:27:16 -0700

On 11/30/05, Michael Holstein <michael.holstein () csuohio edu> wrote:
Only those with broken AV software, since that line is not the EICAR test
string, according to the definition of the EICAR test string.

As many have pointed out, I realize it's supposed to be an attachment :

http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

but I've encountered plenty of broken A/V implementations that didn't
care *where* in the message it was.

Please correct me if I am wrong:

From what little I know, AV companies do not have 5 engines for
detection, they have 1. Symantecs AV for SMTP, SAV, etc all use the
same detection engine. They just have different ways of parsing the
data (among other features). With the advent of HTML emails, most av
engines will check the body of your emails.

Even if some engines miss it, thats still a _really_ good idea,

thanks for sharing =P

-JP
"X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*"
-Michael Holstein