Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [ISN] How To Save The Internet

From: Devdas Bhagat <devdas () dvb homelinux org>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 12:42:08 +0530

On 23/03/05 13:51 -0600, Ben Vaisvil wrote:
The truth is most people are not "skilled" enough to operate their PC's
at a level that isn't "dangerous" to the rest of the network/internet.

This is a result of the fact that pseudo Turing machines like computers
are more complex than most people understand.

Nor should they have to be. With better operating system and software
design we can mitigate those risks, but never eliminate them. There is
no one simple solution to a security problem - it always a
process. The problem often lies that the default configuration for
software and OS's are inherently insecure, allowing problems to propagate.

Default configuration for software? Other than Windows, which consumer
oriented OS is inherently insecure? MacOS X, Linux variants, *BSD?

No normal computer user should be expected to become a system
administrator for their computer. Design is what has let us
down - the fact I have be active to protect my computer is the problem.

The alternative is a locked down system which will not do everything
your computer can do. These are better known as appliances, and have
been rejected by the market till date.

The "normal" computer user wants powerful and flexible systems.
The price of power is responsibility.

Devdas Bhagat