Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: choice-point screw-up and secure hashes

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:05:51 -0500

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:18:46 EST, Atom Smasher said:

some companies have a legitimate need to ask that question. they should be
subject to more stringent checks than our recent bad guys. FTMP, however,
that question is of very little use... if you want to know the SSN of
"john smith", born 1976-07-04 you're likely to come up with several
matches.

Exactly.  That's why the SSN ends up being the key for the database rather
than name/DOB.

the solution i've described is not meant to protect servers. it's meant to
protect data that people subscribe to. the fact that people subscribed to
the data indicates that the servers are well protected, or at least a
harder target than opening an account.

Note that in general, the people who are subscribed to the data are not the
people who's data is being subscribed to.  It's *my* data on store at <insert
data warehouse>, but it's the bank or utility or car dealership that's paying
for access to the data, and it's yet some *other* place that was the *source*
of the data.

the real issue, again, is that we are talking about a SYSTEM. each
component of that system has different threat models and needs to be
protected in different ways. what protects the data may not help the
servers... that protects the servers might not protect dead hard drives...
what protects dead hard drives might not protect the network... for a
group of security professionals i'm disappointed that so many people are
looking for a single "magic bullet" that will just "secure" every part of
a complicated system. it doesn't work like that in the real world.

Notice that your "hash the SSN" defense would have done exactly *ZIP*
to defend against the ChoicePoint debacle that started this thread, and
doesn't really provide very heavy protection against a compromise of the
database itself.  We're not looking for a magic bullet that would secure
it all - but it would be nice if proposals to secure a part of it did in
fact add significant security to that part....