Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft GhostBuster Opinions

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:14:35 -0600

Dan wrote:
    I agree that that this can be done currently with open
source (or at least free) tools currently.  Basically what
GhostBuster was meant to do as far as I can tell, was to
simply automate currently available tools.
With Linux it would be simple to come up with a complety open
source solution that would work great and could be easily
downloaded as an ISO.  I suppose this may be possible with
Knoppix, but the whole captive needing to find an NTFS driver
thing kind of slows the whole thing down.  It seems that the
best solution for a Windows tool would be to create a BartPE
plugin that would do the trick.

Yep, BartPE plug-in would be sweet. Microsoft has a free file MD5 hash
tool (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;841290)
that can be used to build MD5 hashes for the whole directory. Just need
to write a BAT that takes a input Hash listing ( on-line ditry version)
and compares it to the new hash listing (off-line clean version). Just a
idea.

Maybe this is what Microsoft is creating, just hiding all these steps in
a new free tool - which is made of current free tools. Don't know.

-Todd