Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Multiple AV Vendor Incorrect CRC32 BypassVulnerability.

From: bipin gautam <visitbipin () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:32:42 -0800 (PST)

1'st issue: Could anyone verify the existance of both
vulnebrility in *Symantec products* cauz it seems like
symantec engineers got the *old* broken file that i
reported lately and couldn't reproduce the thing. I
tried reporting the issue but the message had a broken
eicarta string so i think the message wasn't deliverd!
I uploaded a wrong file before and the same old file
kept on comming from the servers cache. I was able to
transperently extract the broken CRC archive using
Download accelerator Plus(5.3) with just a warning
message.

2'nd issue: NOP, the zip file wasn't "ACTUALLY"
encrypted.  Nor, anything else in the archive was
modified! The archive can be normally be extracted by
any unzip utility. I did tested it with winrar 3.2 &
with default zip manager of winxp (sp2).

3'rd issue(NEW): Well, tested with F-prot, DrWeb,
*Symantec 8.0 long ago... lately verified it using
virustotal.com If you have a long archive coment... in
a zip archive these AV can't detect virus embedded in
it. though a frend of mine reported me symantec 8.1 is
immune to the bug.

POC:
http://www.geocities.com/visitbipin/long_coment.zip

--- Randall M <randallm () fidmail com> wrote:
I scanned the file with McAfee 8.0i and it end up
stating that it couldn't
scan the EICAR.COM file because it was encrypted.
Was this your
Intention?

------------------------------
--- Steve Scholz <steve_scholz () sybari com> wrote:

You are correct by doing this you are marking the
zip file as encrypted.

Your option at this time is to turn on the feature
delete encrypted
compressed files.

Steve Scholz
Corporate Sales Engineer-North America