Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Bios programming...

From: dk <dk () pwarchitects com>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 20:28:25 -0600

Randall Perry wrote:
The program in question is quite legitimate in nature and already
exists in several forms.

So does porn. Infarct one can replace `program' with `porn' above and make the same kind of hollow point. Mere existence and availability doesn't make it right, even if you make the personal choice to do so.

In some instances, it sends the data to 'accountability partners'
who are your chosen peers that monitor your activity.

Sounds benign enough at first glance, and I like the group portion. But do you have a study that backs up this method as mentally or emotionally sound? Or is this just geeks making up pseudo-science to peddle their code?

Think of it as AA for online porn.  Online porn has become a
real problem for males age 12 to early 40's.

Porn is a human problem mainly due to society's variety in accepting and/or suppressing sexual matters in daily life. Religion has done as much harm in this area as it has done good. Re-modeling that system of "eye-in-the-sky" accountability and personal emotional suppression makes me feel we've learned little these past N-thousand years.

And no, this program (alone) is not like AA or NA. I am familiar with their methods and it places more open responsibility on the individual to learn to control themselves and respond face to face with a group. This is having someone remotely MONITOR your activity and aggregate it however they choose. The direct human contact factor is out of the equation, which probably part of the clients original problem to begin with! To accept that as long-term positive treatment of a condition should be appalling to a discriminating scientific mind. Combine this with planned therapy by a professional (not just some divinity grad) and you /may/ make a better case to those of us who disagree.

Properly implemented, solutions to combat porn are good business.

That statement alone is enough to make me pause about your good intentions. How is it exactly that you intend to separate this type of exploitation of the individual from the exploitation they are trying to be rid of? You & the Porn supplier are both doing it for a profit. Since the client says they want it it's ok then? That's what got them into their mess isn't it?

(mind you, this is not 'spyware' for parents.  this is targeted at
adults who are trying to curb their own behavior).

True. But I would *NEVER* trust a programmer to address a (possible) psychological/behavioral problem, that's just silly. A xx$ program to "monitor" them is no replacement for Professional Psychotherapy, period.

Those who are not aware of that epidemic should sit quietly and
not scoff at the efforts of others.

<rant>
(I was going to bite my lip until you said that.)

No, one should not just be quiet Randy; _especially_ because I disagree that what you are doing is good for the individual or the society that they live within. Though I like how you softly framed the statement to reinforce that speaking implied ignorance. I'm rather surprised you've the gall to actually type this on a Full-Disclosure list.

Whether this is an "epidemic" as you call it, is debatable as well. This just smells like more pious, pseudo-religious proselytizing & labeling that I've had to endure in America all my life. Must it infect 'net too? Silly question, I know.

That the Internet (post '95) has cast a wide net to surprise the unprepared with pornography is true enough. But that's a problem of how each society teaches it's members. Calling it an epidemic just sensationalizes it and makes it good for marketing and evangelizing.

I've a feeling social piety and taboo play a large role in the individuals dysfunction and attraction to porn. So social treatment and education is a better path than hacking up some code over night to make a buck. That just stinks Randy.

</rant>

Good luck with the project,
it sounds noble at root.

The root of many human endeavors seem noble. Yet the unforeseen consequences keep bubbling up through history, no?

--
dk

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html