Full Disclosure mailing list archives

exploiting/debugging the UnhandledExceptionFilter

From: "RaMatkal" <ramatkal () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:04:46 +0200

Hi,

I am working on a Win heap overflow that gives me control of eax and ecx and hence allows me to write a double word of
memory to an arbitrary location...

I overwrite the SetUnhandledException filter with an address that will bounce me back to my shellcode.

the only problem is, that the unhandledexception filter does not get called while the vulnerable process is being
debugged, say with ollydbg.

I think i remember reading somewhere that it is possible to make the UnhandledException filter get called from within a
standard debugger such as ollydbg and was wandering if anyone knows how to do this...

(Kernel level debugger is not an option ie SoftIce)

Thanks very much

RaMatkal