Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: www.whois.sc (Florian Weimer)

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:25:04 +0200

* mike bailey:

Florian Weimer Said:

No, I didn't.  Please use correct attribution lines.

I know the website http://whois.webhosting.info also offers this
feature. I've come to the conclusion that they just spider the web
for domain names, obtain a dns record, and then store the result in
a database. whois.webhost.info also offers the ability to check what
company owns that ip block. Which is probably just returned from
whois.arin.net . But it may also take reverse dns replies into
consideration.

I don't think they do something like that.  For example,
http://whois.webhosting.info/217.16.28.239 is empty, although there
are quite few pravda.ru domains are hosted on that IP address, and the
PTR record provides a useful hint.

It's more likely they use the publicly available zone files for .info,
.biz, .org and .com/.net.

By the way, is there a public document describing the zone file access
program for .us?  I've been told they offer something similar, but
can't find any details on the registry web site.