Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: www.whois.sc

From: Andreas Gietl <a.gietl () e-admin de>
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:09:46 +0200

As the results are not very accurate and i see no possibility to gain
these information directly from the host running the ip or any entries
in die ptr for the ip, i guess they just keep a database of domains and
ther ip-adresses and do a lookup on the ip for that ip.

Jimmy Stewpot wrote:
Hello,

I have recently seen a web page www.whois.sc. One of the features that
they have is a "reverse ip" lookup. With that tool I can lookup the IP
address of a server and it will return how many domains are hosted on it.

What I have been trying to figure out is how does that work? I did a
tcpdump on the server that I looked up and it didnt see any abnormal
packets. Does anyone have any idea how that feature works?

For example If lookup the following :

http://www.whois.sc/reverse-ip/?lookup=210.193.162.9

It comes back and shows me several domain names hosted (two to be exact).

Can anyone shed some light on that?

Thanks

--
e-admin internet gmbh
Andreas Gietl                             tel +49 941 3790392 (sipgate)

PGP/GPG-Key unter http://www.e-admin.de/gpg.html