Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Snatching IP on LAN, how to DoS/block such machines?

From: Kristian Hermansen <khermansen () ht-technology com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 09:34:53 -0400

On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 04:04 +0100, Niklas <maxxess () gmail com> wrote:
How do you "shut down" such hijackers? Blocking MAC at router level is
not an option since the real machine might be turned on later
(unblocking, as well as blocking, involves net admin, thoose changes
doesn't happen in real time, probably week time :))

At universities I have been to, we always needed to sign into a
preliminary device with our user/pass first.  Until the user is
authenticated, they remain on a VLAN which has limited access, or
possibly none -- redirecting everything to the auth site.  Upon auth,
however, the user is popped off the VLAN and onto the Uni network and
given a public IP.  This is also done at MIT and various other places.
It is the easiest way to authenticate your users from my perspective :-)

Additionally, if you are just worried about p2p traffic, check out
something like a PacketShaper from Packateer.  It is a layer7 filtering
device with a nice web admin tool that allows you to customize any
protocol's bandwidth usage (0 KB/s if you want).  So, that is something
else for you to check out...where do you work?
--
Kristian Hermansen <khermansen () ht-technology com>