Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: MediaSentry false positives?

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 13:00:41 +0100

Has anybody received "Notice of claimed infringement" from MediaSentry
for IP addresses which, while registered to you or your organization,
are in a range not actively in use?

I've independently received another report of this problem.

I see two likely possibilities -- either MediaSentry is not using due
diligence in verifying that the material for which they send
infringement notices is actually shared from the address they show in
the complaint,  or somebody on the Internet is spoofing BGP route
announcements for unused address space out of larger allocations.

RIPE doesn't have an announcement of the prefix, so I think
MediaSentry was in error.

I don't think it makes sense for MediaSentry to check their findings
more closely from a business perspective.  They don't try to download
the infringing material to confirm that redistribution actually takes
place, either.
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html