Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: NAT router inbound network traffic subversion

From: <bart2k () hushmail com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:26:40 -0800

Check it here -> http://www1.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/papers/fnat.pdf

This should help clarify why NAT can not be considered a security
feature.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 22:12:19 -0800 Kristian Hermansen
<khermansen () ht-technology com> wrote:
I have Googled around and asked a highly-respected Professor at my
University whether it is possible to direct packets behind a NAT
router
without the internal 192.168.x.x clients first requesting a
connection
to the specific host outside.  The answer I received is "not
possible".
I also asked if this can be thought of as a security feature, to
which
the reply was again "yes".

Now, I wouldn't place all my bets on his answer and I am calling
on
someone out there to clear up my question.  If NAT really does
only
allow inbound connections with a preliminary request as he
suggests, it
seems that the only way to get an "unauthorized" packet behind the
router is by some flaw in the firmware of the device.

How about if the client has requested a connection to Google.com
from
behind his Linksys home NAT router: would it be possible for an
outside
attacker to spoof packets from Google's IP to get packets into the
network?  Or do we need to know the sequence numbers as well?  Or
is
there an even more devious way to get packets on the inside
without a
client's initiative?

Has there been any research into this?  Are there statistics on
worm
propagation and exploited network hosts in relation to those
individuals
that did not own routers (and instead connected directly to their
modem)?  If *all* home users on the Internet had NAT routers
during the
summer of 2003, would we have significantly slowed the spread of
Blaster?  I believe these all to be very important questions and
the
security aspects of the ability to route packets behind NAT really
interests me...maybe some of you can elaborate :-)
--
Kristian Hermansen <khermansen () ht-technology com>

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html