Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Sify: ISP in India using hubs to provide connectivity

From: rohit () kritikalsolutions com
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 10:26:41 +0530 (IST)

hi,
 This one is the most obvious problem, I am nevertheless reporting it
since the ISP concerned has refused to take any action.

Sify (www.sify.com/bbhome) is an ISP in India with second largest customer
base and largest among broadband users. To provide broadband, they install
a radio link near your place and than provide connectivity to many users
via a HUB, not even a switch! The problem is obvious. I can listen to
anyone's conversation and do anything at all, using stuff like dnsspoof
and the likes. To top it all, they refuse to acknowledge that this is a
problem warn that in case you run sniffers on our network, we will
prosecute you! As if everyone who sniffs traffic is going to tell them.
In a place like India where people are still on windows 98, scope of a
major virus attack becomes many fold in such situations.
Thanks
Rohit
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html