Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Pattern matching search tool

From: "ALD, Aditya, Aditya Lalit Deshmukh" <aditya.deshmukh () online gateway expertworks net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 08:07:13 +0530

-----Original Message-----
From: full-disclosure-bounces () lists netsys com
[mailto:full-disclosure-bounces () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
Paul Schmehl
Sent: Thursday, January 06, 2005 02:58 AM
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: [Full-disclosure] Pattern matching search tool

Is anyone aware of a search tool (not Google or search engine
aggregation
software) that could be used to search our network for
"interesting stuff"?
It needs to be capable of doing pattern matching similar to
perl's regular
expression stuff.

Dear paul I think you answered your own question over here - its perl!
However there is another tool ntop that I use quite a lot.

I'm looking for something that, for example, could tell me all
the machines
on our network that are running copies of phpBB (obvious
reasons) so that
we could quickly identify potential problem areas.

This I would use a fine tuned version of snort or
a http proxy logging all the requests with logwatch watching for the
"intresting stuff"

-aditya

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html