Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [lists] Re: Administrivia: List Compromised dueto MailmanVulnerability

From: "Jason Coombs" <jasonc () science org>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:24:30 +0000 GMT

Valid ... Invalid ... Nonsense.

The only meaningful thing the engine could do is check whether the certificate is the certificate it is supposed to be
by looking at the public key contained therein.

A public key that has never before been seen in the real world, by anyone, anywhere, is a threat until proved
otherwise. A public key that we have never seen before should not be trusted automatically, even if somebody else has
encountered it in the past.

No change of public key should be allowed without human intervention to rationalize the legitimacy of the change.
Automated 'Valid' / 'Invalid' determinations are absurd where there is a different public key that was trusted instead
for the same entity in the past.

We need systems that warn us of key changes and give us the opportunity to pick up the phone or walk down the hall and
find out why the entity we trust was forced to abandon a perfectly good key pair in favor of another.

Regards,

Jason Coombs
jasonc () science org
Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.