Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Restricting access to SVCCTL named pipe on Windows

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:30:48 -0700

On 12/7/05, Geof <geofgeof () gmail com> wrote:
I'm trying to restrict remote access to the Service Control Manager on a
Windows box in order to forbid a local admin to remotely manage the
services. Indeed, with such an access, it's possible to restart services
that where disabled for security reasons, like remote registry access, or to
install remotely new services.
(See
http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/articles/win_net_srv/ch04s07s09.html
for the available operations)

Using the pipeaclui from bindview, I guess it's possible to define ACL that
deny any access but it is said that "Anytime a named pipe is restarted (or a
system reboot), the changes made using pipeaclui will be discarded and the
defaults of whatever started the named pipe will be used".
http://www.bindview.com/Services/RAZOR/Utilities/Windows/pipeacltools1_0.cfm

So, I'm wondering if someone known how to stop definitively this feature.

I would go about this a different way than you: just drop in managed
firewalls that say only port 135-139, 445, etc from the servers then
you dont have to worry about VPN or cross workstation attacks

or am I totally off base here?

-JP