Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Packet sniffing help needed

From: Joachim Schipper <j.schipper () math uu nl>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 18:09:45 +0100

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 04:26:19PM +0000, Mark Knowles wrote:
Hello, please see inline answers :) sorry for the poor 'netiquette

Comp1(victim1) = Windows xp box, Connected via dial up to a free ISP
Comp2(attacker) = windows/*nix, connected via broadband to different
ISP than comp1
Comp3(webserver/victim2)

C1< ----- > C3

C2---¦

Are you asking what's possible or what's easiest?  I think that many
readers of this list could come up with dozens of various plans, ranging
from relatively straightforward (compromise the target's computer
through a browser vulnerability then install tcpdump/dns
redirection/keylogger/etc) to the absurd (gain 'enable' access to C1's
ISP's core routers through vulnerabilities or social engineering).
Without more specifics or information it's kind of an open-ended
question.

Neither i think.  I understand that if my machine,  the server,  or
any intermediate gateway
has been compromised so that it does things other than the intended
set up of the admin (as in has been rooted - if that a word?) then any
information i send will go to a third party.

'Rooted' is commonly used as a verb, so let's go with the flow.

As far as warnings go..

That also depends on the details of the application.  For example if you
accessed a standard POP3 or FTP server over an insecure connection (i.e.
any connection) then your username and password are flying out in plain
sight in cleartext.  The attacker doesn't really have to do anything
special to obtain them once he has the packets.

This is what i wanted to know - how can an attacker capture this plain
text? all the articles i have read about arp poisoning indicate that
you need to be on the same network.  At the moment with my standard
unencrypted packets how easy is it for an attacker to see the results
- i.e. how could someone see that I googled "fish for tea" without
server compromise. I know there iwill be a lot of data to be sifted
through, but that's what machines are for, right? (security obscurity
n all that jazz)

Sniffing requires the attacker to have some access; it is not possible
to directly sniff your traffic from, say, my computer. However, the
traffic will be routed over a lot of lines, some of which may not be as
you expect. Do a traceroute ('tracert' on Windows is the closest
equivalent) to see the routers in between - you entrust your data
security to all of them (and possibly a couple more, in the case of
multipath routing, routers failing - which will cause a new route to,
say, www.google.com to be established - and the like).

Additionally, people on your LAN are likely able to get to the data with
some monkeying.

On the other hand if a (non-https) web page has a login that uses
password hashing with proper salting, implemented on the client-side
(i.e. using javascript in the browser) then even if the attacker
captured the entire conversation it would not give him enough
information to be able to steal the credentials.  I think that yahoo
does this sort of this for its logins, but most sites do not go this
far, and just send username and password completely in the clear as form
fields.

Just as a side note - with JavaScript i disagree with this. If i can
recover the JavaScript that encrypts and salts then i have a very good
chance of brute forcing idiots accounts. - even some smart people - it
all depends on the server side implementation(although this is not
what im asking nor what i am trying to do)

A proper server-side implementation will not allow the client to choose
the salt, which makes such an attack decidedly nontrivial.

But here again the world is not
perfect, because an attacker can still proxy the entire conversation,
inserting his own certificate in place of the one that the remote server
presents.  This certificate will not be valid since it won't have a
trusted CA signature (or if it did it would not match the domain of the
site) and any browser will pop up a warning about this certificate
before continuing.  But if the user dismisses this warning without
reading it then the attacker essentially has everything, and the session
is no more secure than the non-encrypted http session.  In this example
the warning was critical, and ignoring it breaks the entire security
model.

Yep I agree - I am just interested in how I could sniff traffic from
my dial up account talking to google, without being on the same
network :)

This would require compromising some router, the host you are talking
to, or just manipulating the routing tables in a smart way.

All that is possible. But it is very likely easier to compromise the
Windows XP machine, if someone is after you specifically or has built a
tool to sniff, say, credit card numbers.

                Joachim