Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Ioncube Encoded PHP Files

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 23:46:00 -0500

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 13:51:14 +0100, Joachim Schipper said:
Though I wonder what the point is - it's not likely to be all that hard
to run the code on another system. The main point seems to be to prevent
administrators from making local changes, and I must admit to not seeing
a problem with people who have bought the software doing that.

You've never had to handle a support call that involved a customer that was
clever enough to fuck around with the code, have you?  That's a tech support
nightmare waiting to happen, because it's guaranteed to be a major sinkhole
of resources figuring out if the customer has hit an obscure bug in your code,
or if they simply dorked it up.