Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Plaxo?

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 08:53:54 -0500

One small problem that may not have been noticed with Plaxo.
If the Plaxo using person decides to do so,  you can be a
non-Plaxo using person on that externally managed address
book with full email address also in there, added by the
Plaxo user. I have received "I have updated my Plaxo" for
whatever was updated, by several customers, at my help line
email address and have checked it out when at their premises.
Sure enough, there is my email address externally managed.

So, whether you allow Plaxo or not, if some user outside of
your company has all your email addresses within your company
on their computer, it has also likely been added to Plaxo by
them whether you like it or not.

Of course this would lead to increased spam and viruses at your mail
server, due to the spreading of e-mail addresses to computers that are
managed by people that aren't exactly security focused. Like I need
more...your computer is infected with a virus...junk mail.

-Todd