Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Fun with ISS Fusion Module

From: offtopic <offtopic () mail ru>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:35:33 +0400

Fun with ISS Fusion Module
This module can correlate data from different ISS products and based it can give additional info about detected attacks
(was it successfully or not, etc). For example, if IDS (network sensor)detects exploit in traffic, but scans (internet
scanner) reports that vulnerability on victim host is patched attack is marked as "Failed".

But Fusion doesn't check was vulnerability checked in scan or not. For example, if IDS catch attack, but scanner
reports that host isn't vulnerable (because admin forget to include this check into scanner's policy) Fusion will
report that attack possible failed regardless of real situation.

How to reproduce:

1. Launch Internet Scanner and scan victim with some low-level policy, such as Inventory Level 1 or Level 2. This
policy only finds hosts and applications and doesn't check any vulnerability (like nmap).
2. Apply appropriate policy to IDS sensor (for example Attack Detector).
3. Attack victim with selected exploit (I used LSASS MS04-011).
4. Check report about attack. You will see "Failure possible. scanned, vuln not confirmed"

I don't find any description of "Failure" status but color is green :-)

(c)oded by offtopic () mail ru