Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: linux bugs (survival stories)?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:34:43 -0400

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 01:41:03 BST, pageexec () freemail hu said:
the real problem with the current linux noexec mount handling is
that by not restricting mprotect one can just construct an ELF file
that when mmap'ed will overlap the stack and call mprotect and
execute your code, effectively circumventing this measure (there was
a longish thread on this topic last May on dailydave), this gives
you a false sense of security only, not security. without such a
restriction a sysadmin cannot enforce a W^X policy at the file
system level. NetBSD (maybe the others as well, i didn't check)
and PaX both forbid mprotect(PROT_EXEC) on noexec mounts for this
reason.

Now this, unlike the /lib/ld-linux.so hack, is a still-existing issue.

However, this is getting rather far afield, because:

1) This is quite arguably a "design decision" rather than an outright bug.

2) Whether it's a bug or not, it only impacts userspace security - and we
started off discussing protecting the kernel itself from kernel bugs....

(Not that I'm adverse to a thread on "what the kernel could do to harden
userspace" - but somebody needs to change the Subject: line if we go that way...)