Full Disclosure mailing list archives

MS05-021 Workaround - Block Port 25/SMTP - HAHA!

From: Danny <nocmonkey () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2005 15:48:38 -0400

Good to see that Microsoft has a great sense of humour, in regards
their recently announced Security Bulletin MS05-021 - Vulnerability in
Exchange Server Could Allow Remote Code Execution (894549).

Note one of the workarounds (if you don't have time to patch):

"Use a firewall to block the port that SMTP uses. Typically, that is port 25.

Impact of Workaround:

This workaround should only be used as a last resort to help protect
you from this vulnerability. This workaround may directly affect the
ability to communicate with external parties by e-mail."

And some people wonder why I insist that all of my Microsoft servers
are inaccessible from the Internet; egress and ingress.

...D