Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Case ID 51560370 - Notice of ClaimedInfringement

From: dk <dk () pwarchitects com>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:47:50 -0500

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 12:07:08 EDT, bkfsec said:

Craft a file with the same hash, time+date stamp and size, and be sure to include a program and license disclosure for a program that you wrote.

Unfortunately, nobody has a good algorithm for creating a file that has the
same MD5 hash as a given existing file.  So while I *can* create two files
"foo1" and "foo2" that happen to have the same hash (the actual value of which
I have no control over), I can't (yet) create a file that has the same MD5 hash
as the trailer for the next Star Wars movie...

Modding the p2p app to falsely match specific remote chunks against crafted local files seems an easier route than trying to find collisions. :) Then again, it would break the swarming feature of what ever app you modded & 'prolly be breaking some other U.S. Law.

--
dk