Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Rootkit For Spyware? Hide your adware from

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 06:38:26 -0700 (PDT)

It depends on which kit they based it on. My guess
is these guys weren't
good enough to do the coding themselves so they
stole someone else's code.

That, or they're learning (rootkit coding training via
Blackhat), or they're simply purchasing it (there are
folks who do custom rootkit coding for hire).

Of course I can' t think of any rootkits under any
kind of license so I
guess it isn't really stealing. Maybe the kits'
authors should track these
bozo's down and ask for some compensation. They are
probably good enough to find them.

I don't see a correlation between coding and tracking
someone down.  Also, as stated, there are some who are
already writing rootkits for pay.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html