Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re:Hiring a worm writer to do computer security

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:56:52 -0400

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:05:27 PDT, Daniel Sichel said:

I want to know what financial institutions are clients of the firm that
hired him so I can close my accounts now, before its too late.

Would you do so even if it turns out that almost *all* financial institutions
buy at least *some* software from the firm in question, leaving you with no
alternatives except your mattress?  Is this a zero-tolerance policy, or would
you still bank there if they buy *some* of their A/V from that one firm, but
buy from other A/V firms too?  What % would you find acceptable?

Equally important, why did you not *already* do so when you found out that your
financial institution also purchases software from Microsoft, when a lot of
people are saying that's an even worse idea security-wise than buying A/V
software from a company that may end up hiring somebody of dubious distinction?

"Before it's too late" is already *long* gone by, unless your bank has totally
banned IE and Outlook from its network.