Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Vmyths.com ALERT] Hysteria predicted for 'JPEG Processor' vulnerability

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:59:35 -0400

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:34:32 EDT, Barry Fitzgerald said:

Why did this need a Vmyths advisory?

So far, I haven't read any disinformation in the media regarding this.
A virus can actually be embedded in the file with this vulnerability
(or, any program, really) and the vulnerable programs really can be
exploited using the jpeg files.  I don't think this is at all comparible
to an april fools joke or a steganography-using malware implementation
-- they're completely different than this.

I read it as "yes, there's a bug, but it's a 'yawn, *another* hole, get to
patching *again*' issue rather than 'death of the Internet predicted, film
at 11'".