Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Response to comments on Security and Obscurity

From: gadgeteer () elegantinnovations org
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:46:59 -0600

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:27:17AM -0400, Peter Swire (peter () peterswire net) wrote:
      Some responses to the first morning worth of comments.  A big reason for
posting the paper to Full Disclosure was to make the paper less stupid -- to
learn from the list.  I've been working on this topic since I left the White
House in early 2001, where I worked on privacy and computer security issues
including the Federal Intrusion Detection Network, etc.  A 2001 version of
the paper needed a lot of work, and is still on the publications page of my
web site as a work in progress ("What Should be Hidden or Open in Computer
Security?").  I've presented this stuff quite a few times in front of
technical audiences since, and continue to seek to improve it.  I continue
to think that this is an important topic -- for computer security and
Homeland Security and physical security (especially after all the
pro-secrecy actions since 9/11), when is secrecy at all justifiable, and
when instead does it lead to bad security in addition to bad accountability?

Ah...  Well, we all have day jobs.  :-)
If your opinions have as wide an impact as the paragraph above would
indicate.  A more practical and serious critique is called for.

I'm on my way out the door to a meeting in another town so I will have
to get back to you later on this.

cheers,
--
Chief Gadgeteer