Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: win2kup2date.exe

From: Feher Tamas <etomcat () freemail hu>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:34:28 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

1., If you send a virus sample to any of the established AV
vendors, there is no need to send the sample to others. The
AV firms share samples amongst each other via their private
mailing list.

2., When you see someone claim "I found this invisible,
undetectable, CIA-related megavirus, but I am not allowed to
give it to AV researchers, because I do not have the
copyright for the virus, etc., blah-blah"
then you recognize it is a hoax.

3., Today the boundary between viruses, worms and the
ad-ware, spyware category is fading. Some vendors refuse to
detect ad-ware, other provide optional databases and a few
detect anything which they consider dishonest code.

4., To run different AV programs under Windows, you must
have the Windows 2003 OS. Only this one supports
co-existence (works 95% of cases). In older MS OSes, you
should choose a multi-engined AV product, if you want extra
security.

Regards: Tamas Feher, Hungary.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html