Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The Hacker's Manifesto Reloaded

From: James Tucker <jftucker () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 14:25:32 +0100

A short piece of food for thought for all you hackers out there. This
is not an attack on your livelihood this is merely a point for your
consideration.

It (the manifesto) does not explain why this information is relevant
for me to read. or maybe I am unable to understand the part that does,
if so please teach this willing student.

Your manifesto seems largely similar to those written by many others.
The attacks upon the security industry (which is required, whether the
techs are good or not is a different matter) are largely unqualified.
Please do not forget that businesses are formed due to the needs of
other businesses or people and they serve others, this leads in a
chain like manner back to the industries you would choose not to
attack.

Tell me how would you feel if you successfully stole enough money that
you crashed an economy and power generation also stopped. An unreal
scenario I know, but tone this back down to reality, and you realise
that the things you are using are also directly related to the things
you are trashing. In essence you are destroying your own world.

It is business that makes computers, it is power that feeds the
factories, it is these peoples money that pays the employees. The
employees need health insurance if they want to survive, hospitals
need their equipment, which in turn requires design, logistics for
movement of physical items. The logistics companies need ISP's for
their communications infrastructure, and banks to manage their money.
The trail goes on. Do you not realise that many of the places you
attack are merely part of the chain of business which supports the
world that you love?

A final point to further this, how far are you willing to go in
causing people inconvenience? Every day people commit suicide due to
stress caused to them in their business lives. Shutting down
communications media, or any other business could have this effect (or
at least contribute). Even furthermore there are situations where your
actions may more directly affect the safety of individuals. Continuing
to do so may then be compared to attempted murder. Still think you
have any moral high ground?

Finally the word manifesto means "a declaration of intent". I was
unable to see any intended actions stated. In fact what I read more
resembled a boast of money gained by actions already performed, and
insult of lesser hackers and security professionals. For someone who
should have a clear understanding of the need for accurate
understanding of language (most important when the language is dealt
with on a purely logical and explicit basis as with a computer system)
you seem to not care so much about the accuracy of your written
language.

---

I am a student of security and this is my manifesto. I intend to have
any hacker who tries to attack me for trying to provide an explanation
of my point of view to them, thrown into jail for the longest sentence
available under the laws of the country in which they committed their
crime. This is my statement of intent, my manifesto, and it needs no
end user license agreement or copyright. It is not unreasonable, it is
not a declaration of war, it is a statement accompanying a point for
discussion, nothing more.

What do you think?

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 05:45:19 -0700 (PDT), the entrepreneur