Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Viral infection via Serial Cable

From: Über GuidoZ <uberguidoz () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 02:24:47 -0400

I understadn where you're coming from if speaking about protocol.
However, in most cases there will be many more ways to exploit
something over TCP/IP then over a raw RS232 connection. The serial
port will need to have something listening on it, that is also
exploitable. Compare this to the amount of exploitable services and
such listening on a TCP/IP connection over the network. Matter of
propability is what I was getting at... I apologize if I wasn't clear
on this point.

Accepting the fact that MANY viruses exist in the wild that are
designed to infect over TCP/IP, the chance of running into one that
infects over a serial port is little to none. (Granted, unless that
connection is being used as a network comunication device, which then
in turns changes the entire argument back over to TCP/IP and network,
not RS232 data.) Interesting thoughts all, please keep them coming.

--
Peace. ~G