Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Crypto and Primes

From: "Janusz A. Urbanowicz" <alex () bofh net pl>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:46:47 +0200

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 02:31:28PM -0700, Daniel Sichel wrote:
Depending on how rigourous you are being, the large in large numbers is
a relative term. I know from talking to someone who has worked in for
real government crypto that there is enough storage space to create a
lookup db of a good chunk (if not all) of the PGP crypto keys in use for
common key sizes (512 and 1024). I doubt SSL is less vulnerable. I guess
there's force, brute force, and brute force with taxpayer dollars.

This is disinfo, or, misunderstanding. Some sources DO report existence of
such lookup tables used for DES, and this could be extended to other
ciphers, like meet-in-the-middle lookup tables for 3DES. But as others
pointed, for primes, this would be... unwieldy.

Alex
--
0x46399138

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.