Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Google Desktop Search

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 07:50:06 -0700

Dogo wrote:

Hi everybody!

I decided to test Google Desktop Search

Hope that this was just a test machine. I would have been a bit nervous to try this on anything I needed, myself.

...In the beginning I put my nick to play with, Dogo. The
research came with a bit more than I expected 'cause the engine  went to some webmail based accounts: Yahoo and MSN. I
could click in the results and opened my Yahoo Mail inbox page without a password.

Perhaps you have something that says funnel all email to a specific account; perhaps you *do* have a "remember my password" set somewhere. Lots of perhaps here; you might want to ghost the drive, and do a little forensics off line, to see if there are presents left behind.

Well, I just used for maybe 20 minutes until the index was being prepared. I uninstalled the tool.

You *hope* you uninstalled it. Checked the registry? Sounds a bit to me like Google is working to be the next Big Blue/Microsoft. Excellent. Survival of the fittest.

Did someone try it? Any opinion?

I'd recommend that someone try a couple of installs on a private network, and watch what goes in or out. Sounds interesting, for certain values of interesting.

--
You've confused equality of opportunity for equality of outcomes,
and have seriously confused justice with equality.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html