Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Windows file I/O not internationalized

From: psz () maths usyd edu au (Paul Szabo)
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:42:09 +1000 (EST)

We have a Windows application (TCL script really) that wants to find the
IP address of the PC it runs on; it effectively does

  cmd /c "ipconfig > ip.txt"

then reads the file. This works fine everywhere, except... I have a user
with WinXP set to Chinese language. For this user, the file stops after
"Ethernet adapter" (contains just 53 characters). Doing ipconfig without
redirection in a CommandPrompt window works fine and says the equivalent
of "Local Area Connection" in Chinese.

Seems to me that file I/O redirection, angle-brackets or pipe symbols,
stop at the first non-English character. Is this a known bug or feature?
If so, does anyone know a workaround? Otherwise, does this have security
implications?

Cheers,

Paul Szabo - psz () maths usyd edu au  http://www.maths.usyd.edu.au:8000/u/psz/
School of Mathematics and Statistics  University of Sydney   2006  Australia

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html