Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why is IRC still around?

From: huhu <the.soylent () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:02:45 +0100

Danny wrote:

Well, it sure does help the anti-virus (anti-malware) and security
consulting business, but besides that... is it not safe to say that:
?

1) A hell of a lot of viruses/worms/trojans use IRC to wreck further havoc?
email, http, aol users;)?
2) A considerable amount of "script kiddies" originate and grow through IRC?
and criminals through phones....
3) A wee bit of software piracy occurs?
p2p?
4) That many organized DoS attacks through PC zombies are initiated through IRC?
just a control network, could also (and is) handeld through p2p-technologie
5) The anonymity of the whole thing helps to foster all the illegal
anonymity?;)
and malicious activity that occurs?
The list goes on and on...

Sorry to offend those that use IRC legitimately (LOL - find something
else to chat with your buddies), but why the hell are we not pushing
to sunset IRC?

What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
minded to say that it would be a much safer place?
yes, you are.

...D

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html