Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Setiri + Invisible browsers != visible browsers

From: leader () rootshell be
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 08:41:53 +0100

Haroon Meer wrote:

Hi..

About 2 years ago, we demo'd Setiri, a win32 trojan that tunneled data off networks through the use of Invisible
Internet Explorer instances. This allowed us to avoid sticky issues like authentication / etc and worked nicely
against personal firewalls configured to allow out IE traffic.

 Despite the noise it generated back then, very little has been done to combat the problem. So we threw together a
few lines of C# and tacked on a  gratuitous .pdf (for good measure) for an angle we believe can go a long way towards
mitigating the threat..

In short : an invisible browser is not the same as a visible one, and personal firewalls (that do outbound
application control) should not treat them the same. Application-level access control systems should be able to
detect whether an application is running visible or not.

The short paper : http://www.sensepost.com/garage_portal.html / http://www.sensepost.com/restricted/casper.pdf

The badly written C# : http://www.sensepost.com/garage_portal.html / http://www.sensepost.com/restricted/casper.zip

As usual, please mail questions/comments/flames to research () sensepost com / haroon () sensepost com

/MH

Haroon Meer                                                         MH
SensePost Information Security                          +27 83786 6637
PGP : http://www.sensepost.com/pgp/haroon.txt     haroon () sensepost com

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html

With all the spyware crap that is on computers that are easy targets, and some that aren't, why would making it
invisible make a difference at all?  Hell, just open the window in front of the user take up the whole screen, pop-up
about 30-50 other windows slowly and/or based on the CPU speed in another process and upload the data through the first
one while the user is distracted by the others.  IE would be an easy target for this kind of distraction, mozilla would
probably be just as easy...

[This mail has been send from http://www.rootshell.be.]