Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Support the Sasser-author fund started

From: Mister Coffee <live4java () stormcenter net>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 10:53:17 -0700

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 02:33:25PM +0200, harry wrote:
Tobias Weisserth wrote:
 <snip>

who's fault is it really when you buy a door, you lock it, but a burglar
finds a way to easily open it, comes in and tells you...

I don't really see any question of ethics, morals, or legality here.  The burgaler is at fault.  Said intruder may not
be guilty of theft, and may have had "pure" motives, but they're still plainly guilty of Tresspass and Breaking and
Entering.

Remember - I did lock my door.

With the possible exception of an Admin or Owner breaking into a system they are responsible for, _using an exploit to
gain access_ is -always- a breach of ethics.

just my 2 cents

--
harry
aka Rik Bobbaers

Microsoft has to take responsibility for making cruddy doors (to use your metaphore) but they are not to blame for
someone kicking the door in.  And, much as I am not a fan of the Curse of Redmond, the patch for this 'sploit was
already out and avilable.  They HAD fixed the problem.

Cheers,
L4J

K.U.Leuven - LUDIT             -=- Tel: +32 485 52 71 50
Rik.Bobbaers () cc kuleuven ac be -=- http://harry.ulyssis.org

-- Air conditioned environment - do not open windows!

Love the sig.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html