Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Locking up Internet Explorer

From: "Thor Larholm" <thor () pivx com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 10:43:34 -0700

Any link in the form of //something has the current protocol prepended to it. If you are on a HTTP site such as
http://microsoft.com and click on a link to //msdn.microsoft.com you are in reality making a request for
http://msdn.microsoft.com

/. used to use these links all over the place, to save some bytes I guess.

The results by clicking on your link to //test/test depends on the security zone you are in. If you are in the Internet
Zone you will be asking for http://test/test , if you are in the My Computer zone you will be asking for
file://test/test which gets translated into \\test\test.

Regards
Thor